Awwwwwww.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

So....

I know people look forward to blog updates, but our lives are kinda boring around here. I don't mean to say that I don't have two little boys that constantly keep me on my toes getting into things and running me ragged, but we don't have a whole lot of variety in our daily routine lately. Wake up, eat breakfast, go for a walk, play inside a bit, eat snack, take a nap, play some more (perhaps outside if it's not too hot), eat dinner, swim when daddy comes home, go to bed. We do this EVERY day. I have found that the boys seem to behave better with a strict routine. I'm a bit nervous about the next couple of weeks as TK will be leaving for a scout camping trip for a week and the day her returns we hit the road for Washington where not only the time difference, but visiting with family and the like will completely obliterate the aforementioned routine. I can't exactly say I'm looking forward to 12 hours in a car with two two year olds either, especially since we're taking the Montana route this time so we won't be entirely sure where we're going. We may be shooting ourselves in the foot by trying to drive through the night so the boys will be sleeping most of the trip. This means they'll be rested, but we won't. TK will get the worst of it as he will have literally just returned from a week long hiking and camping trip. Really. He will come home, take a shower and then get back in the car. However seeing family for a few days (five days) will be a nice light at the end of the tunnel. Do you folks have any tips for making car trips like this tolerable??? I'll be making some small neck pillows for the boys to make car seat sleeping a little more cozy, but not sure how to keep the hubsters and I awake during our driving shifts. Anything you have found helpful would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

5 comments:

Christine said...

For you and TK, try downloading podcasts. Jason and I listened to episodes of RadioLab, This American Life and Car Talk on our cross country drive. It was great. Seriously. We all have fond memories of that 6 day car trip.

Anonymous said...

Books on CD for you guys...DVD player for the boys. It's the only way we can pull of long road trips ;)

Kaeli & Kyle said...

I need to call you back... Sorry. BUT I have a tip for the boys. My friend just went on a trip with her one year old and she went to the dollar store and bought some new toys so that he would be all excited for new toys. I guess if you dont want to buy new, you could borrow from a friend? ALso, LOTS of snacks!!! :)

Sis. Stokes said...

Thanks gals! I'm thinking the dollar store or D.I. for some car friendly distractions. I'll also look for something for the adults to listen to. Maybe even with headphones or something so we don't have to hear the movies we've seen a million times. And that will help once the boys are asleep too.

Kapri said...

I love reading your blog Tia. I agree with getting toys only have a new toy for every couple hours so there's always something to look forward to.